M-S: 8 AM - 8 PM | SUN: 9 AM - 6 PM

Get Rewarded!

Best Rewards is a FREE customer loyalty program that rewards YOU for making purchases at our store. Think of it as our way of saying thanks to those who have become part of our local, independently owned hardware store family.

You pay nothing to join the Best Rewards program, but you receive tons of benefits. Your membership becomes the ultimate tool to help you get the right products for your next project.

Points You Can Spend Like Cash!

You'll earn points on every purchase you make, and those points turn into rewards and discounts mailed directly to your home. Redeem the rewards during your next store visit, and you'll be on your way to getting your project completed!

You'll also have access to special coupons and additional promotions throughout the store, exclusively for Best Rewards members.

Track Your Points Anywhere!

Once you're a member, you will have access to your Best Rewards progress by visiting customerbestrewards.com. While you can't earn Best Rewards points for online purchases, you can still track your purchases, points, and rewards. Even better, it can all be done from your mobile phone or computer.


Check Your Rewards Here

Stop in and Sign up Today!

You can join the program by filling out our quick and easy application during your next visit to the store. Just ask one of our friendly sales associates, and they'll get you started earning points on every purchase you make in the store.

So...what are you waiting for?! Come into our store, join, and start earning points today!

Best Rewards FAQ

For every $250 spent, you will receive a $5 reward issued on a monthly basis. This is a 2% value proposition. On an annual basis, customers are awarded 3% back based on the total spend for the year. With this program, customers are eligible to receive 5% back each year.

To register your account, you will need to visit customerbestrewards.com. Your account or LC number will be required. This number can be found at the bottom of the customer reward form under the barcode.

In order for you to see how many points you have accumulated, you will first need to register your account. If this step has been completed, visit customerbestrewards.com and your points should be listed on the home page.

In order for any changes to be made, you must first register your account. If this step has been completed, visit customerbestrewards.com then go to Update My Profile listed under the My Profile tab. You can also email office@sullivanhardware.com to make any changes.

If the points were not applied at the point of sale while visiting one of our store locations, please email a copy of the receipt to office@sullivanhardware.com as well as the phone number associated with the account. We will be able to manually enter the points for you.

For monthly rewards, there is a 6-8 week lag of when you should receive the reward in the mail. For example, for June monthly rewards, the reward should arrive mid July. For annual rebate rewards, those are mailed out in November.

If you lost or misplaced your reward, please call the office at 317-255-9230 ext. 8 to discuss.

While the reward card you received in the mail has an expiration date, we do still accept them.


Here to Help You Find What You're Looking For

Best Rewards - Sullivan Hardware & Garden